Sunday, January 1, 2012

January 1st, weigh day

After a while at CrossFit I got on the scale and had lost 15 pounds. A week later I got on it again and had gained 5 back. I was so frustrated that I vowed not to step on the scale again until January. Well today is that day. I have had so many people ask me how much weight I have lost and now I can tell them the gigantic number! 20 pounds give or take a pound or two since I weighed on a scale that I haven't ever used. Am I excited about 20 pounds? Of course I am. I am finally below 250. But if you ask me what I am most excited about, it is that I have gone down from a size 24 jean to a size 18, size 24/26 shirt to size 18/20. To put this in some perspective let's talk about weight and clothes size. I delivered Haley at 250 (17 years ago), I had an 8 lb 8 oz baby and all of the excess that goes with it, and I was at the weight I pretty much am now. Before I got pregnant and after I delivered her I wore a size 22/24, at the weight I am now. When I got married (23 years ago) I don't remember what weight I was but I know I was not 250, but I wore a size 18 jean and 18/20 shirt.

So, let's get back to my big weigh in today. It is just not important to me what is on the scale. What is important to me is that I look good, feel good, and the size of my pants and shirts keeps dropping.

Today I will take note of that weight as well as some measurements that I should have done in August when I started. This will all be for my baseline, January 1, 2012. I will weigh and measure on the first of every month.

I know that how much weight a person has lost is the hot topic of today's society, but it will not be the way that I measure success any more. When asked, I will just say, it really doesn't matter, but look at these jeans, or these muscles, now that is awesome!!

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

I 100% agree. I have also lost a significant amount of weight at CFA (though I'll never wake up as early as you do!). I'm proud to say I weigh less than 200lbs for the first time in 5ish years, but I care much more about how I feel. I've grown not only physically, but emotionally and mentally. I treasure what I've learned about myself way more than a number on a scale.