Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dr appointment on Tuesday

I can't believe that I forgot to blog about my dr appt!!

The first thing he asked me is "How was the injection I gave you in...09!!??" Well it was December of 09 and this is January of 12, but even then I guess it has been too long for me to say "it didn't work". He asked why I didn't come back and I told him that I just decided to live with it. But, now I am back because I am sick of living with it and ready to make it better.

Diagnosis: meniscus on the interior of my right knee cap is gone, bone on bone. Arthritis due to that. Condromalacia. blah, blah, blah....please just make it better.

Treatment: 18 guage needle into my knee with a very strong steriod that hopefully will do the trick.

Possible Future treatments: He said this should start working in 7-10 days and last several months. If this does not work there is a gel that can be injected into my joint that will provide a cushion for a year or two. Later down the road we might talk joint replacement.

Exercise advice: "I would rather you not do deep squats, listen to your body" There is a difference between "I would rather you not" and "don't do this" I choose to listen to my body and squat until it is not comfortable and we will go from there.

Aftermath: That afternoon my knee started hurting in the worst way, I called my mom (who used to work for my dr) and she said "hello, you had a big needle with foreign stuff put into your knee, of course it is going to hurt" What was I thinking?? Ice, ibuprofen, and rest was the course for the rest of Tuesday and Wednesday. Finally I could walk again with out it hurting.

Back in the gym Thursday morning, a little timid but doing everything :)

No comments: