Monday, October 3, 2011

In memory of...

Tonight my beautiful grandmother left this earth and went to live where she will no longer be in pain or a wheelchair.

She is one of the reasons that I began CrossFit, my grandmother had Multiple Sclerosis and I know that it is hereditary. I saw her struggle in every day tasks and had to help her to the bathroom on many occasions. I kept thinking, "What if this happens to me? Will there be anyone who can actually lift my fat self out of my wheelchair and help me?"

6 weeks ago when I began my crossfit journey she was so happy for me and proud of me. She told me to keep it up, even when it got hard. After several visits and me telling her some of what I was going through she said I should write a book about my journey. That is partly why I started this blog, she said I should have something to look back on to see how far I have come.

Every time I saw her she would ask me "How are your workouts?" or "Are you still working out?" I was proud of myself that I could tell her "Yes ma'am, and I am getting stronger every day"

A few days ago, she opened her eyes and looked into mine and said "You are so beautiful and I can tell that you are working out" Those were the last coherent words that she spoke to me.

As a 43 year old I know that I am so blessed to have had so much time with my grandmother. She loved her family, books, and football. And, I loved her.

No comments: