Friday, October 14, 2011

Stealing from my sister's blog

While I am waiting on cakes to bake tonight, I went to visit my sister's CrossFit Fly blog. You can check out her complete site at www.crossfitfly.com and if you happen to be in Newport Beach, CA, check out her box! While reading through her blogs I decided to steal one and post it here. I am choosing to be part of the 2%, I hope you join me!

A dear friend and mentor taught me a concept last year that I want to share with you. It’s the law of 2%.

Carey said, “Look around. See what everyone else is doing, and do the exact opposite.”

We live in a culture of instant gratification and extreme comfort. When we think about our hopes and dreams, we rarely turn those dreams into goals, actions steps, and ultimately, reality. Why? Because we are not practiced in the act of putting forth a consistent amount of effort for an exponential return. What do I mean by this? We often set out on a path toward something we want, and as soon as it gets a little uncomfortable or hard, we bail. Oh, we have good excuses. We can rationalize to the point that no one can argue. This does not have to be our fate. We need only decide that we will not conform to our society.

If we want to ACHIEVE things that others do not, we must be willing to DO things that others will not.

What will this look like for you? Will it mean turning off the tv, and picking up a thoughtful book? Perhaps you will spend less time browsing the internet, and more time buying and preparing food that will fuel your body and prolong your life. Maybe you will not spend $150 dollars on another pair of jeans- $150 dollars today that could be $3,500 when you retire. Or maybe, just maybe, you will train smarter. You will spend an extra 15 minutes a day, three times a week doing a pull/press program so that you can get that pull up… that muscle up. Maybe you will train while everyone else is sleeping in, or while others are at happy hour.

This is what it looks like – ACTION. It is NOT living life unconsciously or going with the flow. It is making thoughtful decisions about where you spend your resources. Not just where you spend your money, but also your time, talents, and even your thoughts.

Carey asked a group of us, “Where can you see that you may be following the mass. Stop, do the exact opposite. Action leads to results. 2% of you will change your mind and get to work. 98% of you will settle.”

I suspect the percentage of you, FLY GIRLS, will be much higher.

Over the next couple of weeks, we will be meeting with you to talk about your goals. Think about it. Don’t just write something down. Make sure it’s something that you want badly enough to work for… that you want it enough to be the 2% who will do the work!" Jill (posted October 3rd)

This week, I am going to write down my goals. I should have done it 8 weeks ago when I started CrossFit, but better late than never have something to shoot for!

No comments: