Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thursday's child is full of strength....

My oldest was born on a Thursday. Today I am a little melancholy because she is at the Austin Fire Department Recruiting office finding out how to proceed with her future plans of being a Firefighter like her daddy. The nursery rhyme about the days of the week says "Thursday's child has far to go", and that kind of fits because she does have some hurdles to get through, but I like my version better. Thursday's child is full of strength, Haley is strong, in her mind, her heart, and she is building more and more strength every time she steps in the gym. I am so proud of her and her decision to follow in her father's footsteps in a career, and finding out the steps to make sure she succeeds. So, kiddo...I love you and pray for only the best for you!

In that same strength spirit, IT IS THURSDAY!! This means STRENGTH day at CrossFit Austin :D Last week we did not really work on strength since we had 3 challenge tests to get through so I was realllllly looking forward to this one.

Thursday's WOD
Level Two
Strength Day
A. Cleans x3x5 @ 75-80% or 8 RPE Rest 2:00
B. CDL x5x4 @ 55-62% of DL Max Rest 2:00
C1. Front Box Squat x5x3 Rest :90
C2. DB Jerk Unders x5x3 Rest :90

When I pulled up my first clean it choked me and I felt the bruises from Tuesday so I knew I was exactly where I wanted to be! Weight was at 65# and felt heavy and good.

Clean deadlift weight was at 135# Becky and I rocked it!

I wasn't thinking and tried to do 95# on my front box squats not thinking that we were doing 5 reps and holding it for three seconds while hovering over that box. After 3 reps, I lowered the weight to 75# and that was much more manageable.

Alternating with the squats were dumbbell jerk unders which I did with 20# dumbbells.

Today felt good. I have also started running for our warmup lap. Right now, I am running down to the end of the building and walking back, but I am working up to the lap and my goal is by the end of the challenge, I will be running the 400m lap with the rest of my class. One thing is for sure, every day I will get stronger, and faster, and have more stamina....but it won't happen if I don't push it a little more each day.

No comments: