Thursday, September 8, 2011

I heart rowing

This week started off on a strange note. Sunday I sent my hubby off to work and then listened as so much of Central Texas started to burn. I worried some about him since his fire station is on the outskirts of Austin and I was sure that they would be going out for this. He actually stayed in the firehouse all night (except for normal runs). During this time, I did a lot of praying, for him, us, and all who are touched by these fires, and then I cancelled my workout for Monday.

The reason I did that is because I was worried, knew I would not sleep much on Sunday night, and was a little afraid of doing an "All level" workout. I know that means I can scale it to where I am, but I am still a little afraid of it. I also realized that I cannot go 3-4 days without a workout. I actually missed it and it was hard to get back into. When I got up and looked at the WOD, I realized that it was also in teams and I know that I cannot keep up and don't want to hold anyone else back with that kind of workout. Whaaaa...time to get over it.

Tuesday morning, alarm set for 5am, get up and get moving. Check the WOD, see that we are going to learn to row. That could be very interesting. I have watched rowing on Biggest Loser and in the gym and thought, my belly is a little big for that. Whaaa again...here we go. Start that warmup with the lovely 300m run. Ran just under 150m and walked the rest of the way back. Finished warmup and realized that the lovely Crossfit saying is so very true "Our warmup is your workout" It is a little intense for me, but it is getting better.

Time for skill, rowing. Walker brought out a pvc pipe that she was using to demonstrate, and all my sleep deprived mind could think about was "is she going to use that to keep us moving?!!??" Nah, she used it to show us exactly how the rowing machine compared to actual rowing in the water. Pretty cool :) Ok, pair up and let's go. Michelle and I are on fairly level workout ground so we grabbed each other and I jumped on the rowing machine. Guess what....I LOVE to row!!! It was challenging, and got my heart rate up, but I could do "sprints" on it and not fall down, and actually succeed. I felt elated! WOD time, 250m row, 10 walking Russian lunges (think lunge, twist), and 10 chin ups (ring rows for me and Michelle). Music was pumping and 3-2-1 GO! It was a great workout. I really love it when the level 2 class encourages us. It is nice to hear "Great ring row form, you are doing awesome!" I actually came in for the last set of ring rows dancing to the music. Love, love, love. I left workout all smiles and feeling GREAT!!!

Wednesday, day of rest. Slept in until 8:30. We had a volleyball game in San Antonio Tuesday night and got back around 11. Sent my honey back to work and had a day with the girls. Again with my "no running on Wednesday" policy :)

Today, Thursday, dawned after too little sleep. Up and out of the house by 5:15. I don't ever want to be late. Burpees are the punishment and I think that I will just opt out of those unless someone makes me do them. Late is a choice, and I choose to be early :D

Checked out the WOD on the way out the door, (we need an app for that please), and was so pleased that it will include learning how to dead lift. Took a second to talk crap to my sister on facebook about learning this skill and away I went. By the way, there is just something about walking outside on these last few mornings that has put a spring in my step...thank you, God, for cooler weather!! Asked Walker if I could row instead of run and was approved for that, YEAH!! I loved today's workout. I am so looking forward to increasing my lift. We learned to front squat with weight, 20# for me, liftoff and deadlift, started at 20# and then went up to I think #40 (I need to check on that).

So this week has been a mixture of feelings again, but compared to last week they are different. I love Crossfit, there, I said it, I love it. I did not ever think that I would or could say that. I have had knee pain for several years and that is really bothering me and I don't like the way it is interfering with my workout, and it is the reason that I have not done anything in many years. I started seeing a doctor last Tuesday, I like him, even though it looks like my thigh met up with a whipping stick. He does the Airrosti method of release...I really can't explain it even though everyone has told me that he will fix me where I am broken. Check it out at www.airrosti.com. I am hoping to get it well very soon so I can reach my full potential in the gym!!

My plan for the weekend is to go in and do a 1000m row at least one day, and take a family walk. Put on my new hot pink tennies and be ready to kick it next week!

Check out some of my new friends at www.breathelater.wordpress.com and www.theclothesmakethegirl.com. These ladies bring it every morning to the gym and one day I will be right there with them. You can also check out my Crossfit gym at www.crossfitaustin.com. We are expanding this weekend and have a great new member savings for the next few months. Come on in, I would love to workout with you :)

No comments: