Thursday, September 1, 2011

The first week of the rest of my life

This week I started working out at a Crossfit Gym (or box as they call it). I was scared to death. You have met me, I weigh a lot. Too much. I thought that this workout might just kill me. All weekend I pelted my sister and cousin with questions. My sister own a Crossfit in Cali and my cousin goes here in Austin, so they knew what was going on. Monday morning dawns (early) and at 5:15 we were on our way into Crossfit Austin.

Everyone was so nice and welcoming and then our trainer said "Ok, let's warm up with a 300m run". The next 10 seconds were crazy in my mind. "What? 300m? Have you seen my fat butt? I don't even do a workout of 300m. Are you crazy?" But off we went. I ran 150m and walked the last 150, but I did it. Warmup was brutal and then there was the workout which had pushups, squats, and more running (I hate to run). I learned and I did it. My squats are amazing says my trainer. Hey, I am good at something!!! And I finished Day 1.

Day 2 was on Tuesday, again bright and early. I was so sore I just wanted to lie in bed and crash. But back we went. Tuesday will forever be known as hell day for me. It was hard, painful, hard, brutal, hard, awful, hard and just plain hard. I wanted to be done and go away. We had 6 rounds of our workout of the day (more running was included), and I did 4. But, I did 4! That is great!! The rest of the day all I wanted was a one story house and the ability to pee standing up. My body hurt.

Wednesday, my day of rest. Thank you God for days of rest. My body hurt, but not as bad as the day before. I did not run anywhere Wednesday.

Thursday, Workout #3. The WOD (workout of the day) is posted after midnight on the website. Since I get up at 4:45 to get to my 6am workout I do not stay up to check it, and just look at it in the morning. Today, I noticed that there were things that I did not understand, but one thing I did understand is that there was NO RUNNING!!! At least during the workout. All warmups start out with a 300m run, which I am running half and walking half. I kind of danced a jig when I read no running, but then was afraid that I would be sorry because I really don't know what all of the WOD meant. It was great, we did strength :) I can do this! I will be sore tomorrow and may cry when I roll out fondant, but today I did great!! I felt confident about my workout and my ability. I actually have a great squat and that will translate into a strong lift when I am ready to put weight on my bar. I am going to rock this part. Now, I just need to work on the cardio stamina part :)

Now, I have 3 days of rest with some light walking this weekend. My Crossfit experience so far has been mixed. The workouts have made me want to cry and puke and have made me feel strong and confident. The people that I am meeting have made me feel accepted and loved. The encouragement that I am getting is going to get me through this. I am blessed to have this in my life. I am making a decision to change my life for me and that will spill over onto my family.

I will continue to keep this blog, not for you, but for me. I will share some highs and lows. Don't judge me by the title of my blog, I am sure I will offend someone and I am sorry. I just want to be a bad ass. To me that is strong, secure, and confident. I have met a few of these this week. I want to be like them. I will share other Crossfit blogs as they inspire me.

Guess what, I survived my first week, and left the gym with a big smile on my face and happy tears in my eyes.


2 comments:

Shari said...

You go girl!! I love you and you can do this!!! xoxoxo - Shari

hwalkerf said...

Hey lady - one of your Trainers here. So excited you have joined our family, I love your positive attitude! You have shown plenty of courage to show up at the gym this week, but it takes even more to share so honestly about it. Thank you.
I look forward to watching you grow!